Sounds can also have a place in helping simulate appetite. A simple app called "Coffee Maker" (free)
has the background noises of a cafe. The clinking of cups, the swishing of heating milk and the chatter of people have a real coffee shop feel. You can select the coffee you want such as cappuccino, then the type of coffee. You then grind and brew, pick a cup, then tip the coffee and milk in ( of course all these things add a physical component which as a physio I love!) A variety of decorations are available for toppings. This can be a great app for people who are unable to get out and about, but enjoy the atmosphere of a cafe.
Lily was a client with frontal lobe dementia. When she was anxious she could be quite obsessive about food and drink. She would continuously ask for coffee, but then never drink it. One particular day she was very distressed and demanding a drink. I sat down next to her and asked if she would like to make her own coffee. I had the volume control turned up and she loved all the cafe sounds and took her time decorating the milk foam. My very clever friend in the catering staff saw what I was doing and quickly made up a coffee for Lily and myself, so that by the time we had finished, I moved the iPad away and there were our coffees! I left the cafe sounds on while we drank, so that it was like we were out on our own coffee adventure. Another lovely moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment